If buildings could speak… - A historical and architectural tour of Vaudreuil-Dorion

 

Former Convent of the Sisters of Saint Anne

Main facade of the former Sisters of Saint Anne Convent. © Bernard Bourbonnais – Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017.
Former Sisters of Saint Anne Convent. © Bernard Bourbonnais – Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017.
Detail of main facade of the former Sisters of Saint Anne Convent. © Bernard Bourbonnais – Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017.
Former Sisters of Saint Anne Convent (as seen from the Saint-Michel church steeple). © © Bernard Bourbonnais – Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2009.
Preliminary drawing of the convent’s 1916 expansion by architects Joseph-Ovide Turgeon and Siméon Brais. © Congregation of Sisters of Saint Anne collection, Lachine, 1999-351.2.
Saint-Bernard Academy in Shawinigan, around 1920. © Canada Research Chair in Urban Heritage ESG UQAM.
Drawing of convent (1887-1888) before its expansion by architect Siméon Brais. © Congregation of Sisters of Saint Anne collection, Lachine, 1999-351.3.
Sisters of Saint Anne Convent, around 1900. © Centre d’archives de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Jean-Paul Pilon and Lucille Vernier Fund, P25-3.
Group of students in front of main facade with Priest Adrien Patenaude in 1946. © Centre d’archives de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Germaine Saint-Denis Fund, P28 B.1.1.
First Convent of the Sisters of Saint Anne in Vaudreuil, around 1946. © Centre d’archives de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Huguette Servant-Séguin Fund, P90.

place OLD VAUDREUIL AND FORMER SAINT-MICHEL DE VAUDREUIL VILLAGE

Current name Multi-Centre Saint-Charles

Original vocation Sisters of Saint Anne Convent

Address 418 Saint-Charles Avenue, Vaudreuil-Dorion

Construction date 1887-1888

Architect, Firm or Contractor Credited to Pierre Lortie and Sons, architects (1887-1888); Joseph-Ovide Turgeon and Siméon Brais, architects (1916 extension)

Architectural type Non-residential and industrial

Status Private property

A New Congregation and three Convents

The Sisters of Saint Anne’s former convent building faithfully represents the industrial development of Old Vaudreuil1. Built in 1887-1888 from plans credited to Montréal architects Pierre Lortie and Sons2, it served as a teaching establishment for young girls. The building was modified and expanded in 1916 by another Montréal architect, Joseph-Ovide Turgeon (1875-1933) and his assistant Siméon Brais (1886-1963), who became a Vaudreuil resident in 19103. It remained the property of the congregation until it was sold to a private investor in 20094.

Test your knowledge

By what name did Esther Blondin wish to be called before the founding of the congregation on the Sisters of Saint Anne?

Before Former Sisters of Saint Anne Convent. © Centre d’archives de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Lefebvre Family Fund, P106A1,13.

After Former Sisters of Saint Anne Convent. © Bernard Bourbonnais – Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017.

People

References

  1. To facilitate reading and to respect Vaudreuil-Dorion’s historical development, the text in this heritage tour uses the names of Vaudreuil or Dorion for events prior to 1994, year in which the cities merged.

    Also, when citing this heritage tour, please do so as follows: Sébastien Daviau, Jean-Luc Brazeau, and Édith Prégent. If buildings could speak. A historical and architectural tour of Vaudreuil-Dorion. Vaudreuil-Dorion, City of Vaudreuil-Dorion / Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017, <https://www.circuitvd.ca>, accessed [insert date].

  2. Centre d’archives de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Paroisse Saint-Michel de Vaudreuil Fund, M18\D3.6, May 10, 1887. Agreement between Abel Prévost, mason and the Vaudreuil Parish Council. [Original text] « […] Monsieur Abel Prévost […] s’engage […] à creuser toutes les fondations d’un couvent devant être bâti à côté de l’église de la dite paroisse, et représenté par un plan tracé par M. M. Lortie et Cie, architectes Montréal » et M18\D3.6.7, August 11, 1887. « Paiement par les Commissaires d’école de Vaudreuil à P. Lortie et fils, architectes pour les plans pour clocher cheminée en tôle galvanisée ».

  3. Centre d'archives de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Paroisse Saint-Michel de Vaudreuil Fund, M18\D3.15, February 1916 and M18\D3.17, March 24, 1916.

  4. Notary Jean-Pierre Ménard, September 29, 2009. Sale by the Sisters of Saint-Anne of Quebec. Accessed July 20, 2016 on the Régistre foncier du Québec website, <https://www.registrefoncier.gouv.qc.ca>.