If buildings could speak… - A historical and architectural tour of Vaudreuil-Dorion

 

Former fire pump station

Former fire pump station. © Bernard Bourbonnais - Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017.
Former fire pump station and Saint-Michel Church steeple in the background. © Bernard Bourbonnais - Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017.
Former fire pump station and 14 Léger Street. © Bernard Bourbonnais - Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017.
Former fire pump station and original drying tower, around 1928. © Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec, E6,S7,SS1,P28627.
Fire-fighters and their Chevrolet fire truck in front of the station, around 1950. © Centre d’archives de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Germaine Saint-Denis Fund, P28.
Vaudreuil pump station (seen from the Saint-Michel church steeple), January 1947. © Centre d’archives de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Paroisse Saint-Michel de Vaudreuil Fund, M18/A1,3.273.
Fire pump station with expanded drying tower, 1982. © Groupe Harcart.
Family photo (Castonguay) with fire pump station in the background. Photo taken from the alley of the house on 15 Saint-Jean-Baptiste Street (Léger) in 1971. © Archives Isabelle Aubuchon.
The fire pump station after its conversion into a garage and removal of the drying tower, 1982. © Groupe Harcart.
Business and residence at 14 Saint-Jean-Baptiste Street (Léger Street), 1982. © Groupe Harcart.

place OLD VAUDREUIL AND FORMER SAINT-MICHEL DE VAUDREUIL VILLAGE

Current name None

Original vocation Former fire pump station

Address 14 Léger Street, Vaudreuil-Dorion

Construction date 1921

Architect, Firm or Contractor Joseph-Ovide Turgeon, architect

Architectural type Institutional and non-residential

Status Private property

VAUDREUIL’S FIRE PUMP STATION

Originally designed to house a fire pump (the predecessor of firetrucks), this existing old municipal building is a rare find in Québec. Built in 1921 on its current location, this fire pump station was the third one built in Vaudreuil1. Its plans were drawn up by Montréal architect Joseph-Ovide Turgeon (1875-1933)2. Gradually abandoned due to its small size, the fire pump station was no longer used after the fire station on Jeanotte Street was built in 19743. The City of Vaudreuil sold this former fire pump station to the owner of the neighbouring lot, who transformed it into a garage for his main residence4.

Test your knowledge

The Vaudreuil Villagel had its first fire pump station as early as 1857. How long does the Village of Dorion wait to have one as well?

Before Former fire pump station and original drying tower, around 1928. © Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec, E6,S7,SS1,P28627.

After Former fire pump station. © Bernard Bourbonnais - Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017.

People

References

  1. To facilitate reading and to respect Vaudreuil-Dorion’s historical development, the text in this heritage tour uses the names of Vaudreuil or Dorion for events prior to 1994, year in which the cities merged.

    Also, when citing this heritage tour, please do so as follows: Sébastien Daviau, Jean-Luc Brazeau, and Édith Prégent. If buildings could speak. A historical and architectural tour of Vaudreuil-Dorion. Vaudreuil-Dorion, City of Vaudreuil-Dorion / Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017, <https://www.circuitvd.ca>, accessed [insert date].

  2. City of Vaudreuil-Dorion, archives, Logbook of minutes of the Saint-Michel de Vaudreuil Village Corporation, 1918-1950, meeting of September 26, 1921.

  3. City of Vaudreuil-Dorion, archives, Logbook of minutes of the City of Vaudreuil, 1974, resolutions 74-125, 74-127 et 74-206.

  4. Registry Office of the Land Registry District of Vaudreuil-Soulanges, Registration No. 181824, Notary Public, Pierre-André Lamarre, November 12, 1982. Sale by the Corporation of the City of Vaudreuil to Henri St-Jean, Vaudreuil entrepreneur.