This area in the City of Vaudreuil-Dorion experienced remarkable development due to railway construction between 1854 and 18561. A town center formed around the Grand Trunk (Canadian National) and then Ontario & Québec Railway (Canadian Pacific) stations. Former agricultural lands were divided into large lots on which prestigious residences belonging to wealthy vacationers were built. The streets, lined with rows of mature trees, formed an orthogonal grid leading to the shores of the Ottawa River. Named in honour of one of its illustrious residents, Sir Antoine-Aimé Dorion, the City of Dorion was incorporated on December 30, 1890 and experienced rapid growth. Rue de la Gare and Saint-Charles Avenue became home to many shops and services. Two new parishes were established (Très-Sainte-Trinité and Saint-Jean-Baptiste). At first it was a village, then a city (1916), and later on, in 1994, Dorion merged with Vaudreuil to become the City of Vaudreuil-Dorion.
Jonathan Cha, Louis-Philippe Rousselle-Brosseau and Clémentine Hederer. Étude de l’évolution paysagère, de la perception citoyenne et de l’esprit du lieu du boulevard Harwood. Montréal, Jonathan Cha \ MRC de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, May 25, 2015; Luc Noppen, Nadine Maltais et Édith Prégent (dir.). Base de données du patrimoine bâti de la MRC de Vaudreuil-Soulanges. Vaudreuil-Dorion. Chaire de recherche du Canada en patrimoine urbain ESG UQAM \ MRC de Vaudreuil-Soulanges \ Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, December 2015 version; Michel Bélisle. De L’Isle-aux-Tourtes à Vaudreuil-Dorion. Vaudreuil-Dorion, Collectif pour l’histoire de Vaudreuil-Dorion, 2007.
Also, when citing this heritage tour, please do so as follows: Sébastien Daviau, Jean-Luc Brazeau, and Édith Prégent. If buildings could speak. A historical and architectural tour of Vaudreuil-Dorion. Vaudreuil-Dorion, City of Vaudreuil-Dorion / Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges, 2017, <https://www.circuitvd.ca>, accessed [insert date].