Liste des People
It was in Vaudreuil that school teacher Esther Blondin (1890-1890) founded the teaching congregation of the Sisters of Saint Anne in 1850.
Siméon Brais (1886-1963) was a Montréal architect who contributed to the architectural landscape of Vaudreuil-Dorion for over 50 years.
Originally from Vaudreuil, Lionel Groulx (1878-1967), through his teaching and writing, contributed to the transmission of Québec's history and the development of the intellectual community at the beginning of the 20th century.
Robert Unwin Harwood
Originally from Sheffield, England, Robert Unwin Harwood (1798-1863) was a merchant who married Louise-Josephte Chartier de Lotbinière (1803-1869), the heiress to the seigneury of Vaudreuil, giving him an advantageous turn in life. Businessman, politician, justice of the peace and militia officer, he is an important regional historic figure. In fact, several places and buildings in Vaudreuil-Dorion bear the Harwood name in his honour.
Painter and decorator François-Édouard Meloche (1855-1914), apprentice of Napoléon Bourassa, designed the interior decorations of over a hundred churches, many of them in the area. The Saint-Michel de Vaudreuil church is an example of his considerable talent.
Teacher, amateur architect, photographer and mayor, Adolphe Moffatt (1825-1902) is an little-known figure whose achievements marked the architectural landscape and development of the Saint-Michel de Vaudreuil village in the 19th century.
Originally from Pointe-des-Cascades, Joseph-Eugène Perron (1899-1969) was an important architect who built many religious and institutional buildings, mainly in the Haut-Saint-Laurent, the Laurentians, Lanaudière and Montréal.
Julien Perron (1931-2019) was a prolific architect whose achievements left their mark on the landscape of Vaudreuil-Dorion, the West Island of Montréal and the Haut-Saint-Laurent.
Lucien Thériault (1897-1983) became director at Radio Canada's French network in 1937. He chose Vaudreuil-Dorion as his home, where he shared his passion for arts and culture. In 1960, he was named director of the Musée historique de Vaudreuil (Musée régional de Vaudreuil-Soulanges).
Joseph-Ovide Turgeon (1875-1933) was an architect of considerable reputation known for his institutional buildings. He left his mark on the territory by expanding the convent of the Sisters of Saint Anne (1916) with architect Siméon Brais, and designing the Vaudreuil fire pump station (1921).
Léonise Valois (1868-1936) was a journalist and poet who was the first woman in Québec to publish a poetry collection titled Fleurs sauvages in 1910. Her poems were inspired by her childhood memories and the Vaudreuil and Dorion landscape.
As a prosperous farmer and influential man, Narcisse Valois (1786-1859) played an important role in Vaudreuil's history because of his political activities, particularly through his role in the rebellions of 1837.
Lawrence Alexander Wilson
Lawrence Alexander Wilson (1863-1934) was a thriving businessman, respected politician, philanthropist and patron of the arts who generously shared his wealth with the public, mainly in the Vaudreuil-Soulanges region. To this day, we can see the evidence of his actions in the region’s parks, churches, and buildings.